Tuesday, December 18, 2012

worship.

I learned a lot about worship this semester.
the definition of worship: adoring reverence or regard.
in the dictionary it says it can be towards God or to any object that can be considered sacred.
Tim Keller has had many thoughts on worship... and the importance of it. We all worship something, because we were created to worship. This semester I realized that worship does not simply have to be reading the Bible, praying, singing, but it is something deeply entrenched in our hearts and minds. And other things can replace it. We need an encounter with the living God to change our hearts and minds to worship Him in the place that he deserves. These next few blog entries are about my encounters with the living God this semester... and how he truly transformed my heart. Being in a place where I felt a lot of my heart was laid bare, times where I felt hopeless, and felt stuck. God really decided to meet me. He did not only take away a lot of my anxiety and hopelessness, but he replaced it with his love and his grace. 

I thought I would start with some Scripture and songs that really spoke to me this semester. I see this as a foundation of transformation- God opening my heart and mind to new things in the Bible, allowing me to find hope in them, and to praise him through song. singing is one of my favorite things to do, so when He brought songs that allowed my heart to praise Him regardless of the situation I was in, and claim truth about who God is and what He has done, i found such freedom. 

I found starting my day with reading from the Bible, even if it is a verse or too, and starting with worship (singing), really transformed my outlook on the day. these verses gave me hope in the morning, were verses friends gave to me, verses I prayed through, and that I read in devotionals. Looking over my journal I saw that they surrounded my whole semester. 


I hope that you can find some encouragement in them!!! 



Philippians 4:12-13 “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
1 Peter 1:8-9 In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9 for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

 John 15:9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.”

Hebrews 12:2-3 And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

2 Cor 3:17-18 “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate[a] the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.”


Psalm 62:8 “Trust in Him at all times, O people, pour out your hearts to Him for God is our refuge.”


1 Peter 5:7 -11 “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 11 To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.”

 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 “For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”

Romans 5:5- 8 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we[a] have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we[b] boast in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we[c] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. 6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”


Romans 15:13 “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”

Isaiah 61:10 I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.”

Jeremiah 17:7-8 “But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. 8 They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.”

---songs---

“The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger, and rich in love, he has compassion on all that he has made, praise the Lord, o my soul. Praise the Lord."

“I rise as You are risen
Declare Your rule and reign
My life confess Your Lordship
And glorify Your Name
Your word it stands eternal
Your kingdom knows no end
Your praise goes on forever
And on and on again
No pow'r can stand against You
No curse assault Your throne
No one can steal Your glory
For it is Yours alone
I stand to sing Your praises
I stand to testify
For I was dead in my sin
But now I rise.”
-      Beneath the Waters, Hillsong

“You're the promise, never failing, You are my reward, You are my reward. I let go of all I am just to have all of you and no matter what the cost I will floowl you, Jesus everything I’ve lost I have found in you, when I finially reach the end I’ll say, you are worth it all.” - Ben Cantelon, Worth it All 

“With every breath I breathe, with every song I sing, to every word you speak I want to shout it out, Lord I am listening, to every word you speak, I’ll go where you will lead, to love the least of these is my greatest offering” - All Sons and Daughters, Spirit Speak 

“Lord, teach me to pray, not just words, not what to say, but my heart and where it should lay, Lord teach me to pray. Let your kingdom come, and let your will be done, in my heart and in my life, as it is in heaven, as it is in heaven.” - a song one of my friends played in worship on a thursday morning!

One Thing Remains- Jeremy Riddle
Your Glory- All Sons and Daughters
Psalm 23- Enter the Worship Circle
Beautiful- Enter the Worship Circle
Higher- Laura Hackett
O Love That Will not Let me Go- Indelible Grace Music
Hallelujah- Ben Cantelon
Cornerstone- Hillsong
How Firm a Foundation!!!!!
God I look to You- Jesus Culture
All Sons and Daughters- Let it Shine
Phil Wickham- Beautiful & The Victory
Send Revival Start With Me
Jesus I Come- Indelible Grace 


If you ever need a new refreshing song, check one of these out! 


I'll be building on these verses in my next blog entries... so keep an eye out ;) This is where a lot of the hope and transformation came this semester. I'm excited to write more about how the community played a huge part in it too! 

Rach

No comments:

Post a Comment