Sunday, October 21, 2012

catch up.

ahhh! i can't believe it's been so long since i posted- and there is so much to say. where do i even begin?? things have been amazing- challenging and deeply refreshing. it would probably take me a few hours to write everything that i have done and been learning. so, until i get into a rhythm of how to update, i thought i could write down 10 things about school and community.

Academia!
1. Our classes are intense. They are wonderful. I have never learned this much, or worked this hard. so much reading, highlighting- and learning how to take notes! Our weeks alter between packed and lighter class schedules, which can be refreshing.
2. We are in a preaching workshop! it's thrilling. we are learning how to speak, give sermons, and deliver well. we have to tape ourselves, watch, and then figure out what to work on
3. We are in a New Testament class on 1 Corinthains- with 2 papers down, I know so much more than I ever thought I would about the Corinthian society!
4. We are in a class on frequent apologetic questions, one of my favorites, because we are uncovering frequent objections and questions raised about Christianity, and how to dialogue about them
5. Other classes include the rationality of the CHristian Faith, Critical Thinking, Globalization, 1 Peter, Spiritual Disciplines
6. Coffee shops are my jam. Many papers have been written and research occured in coffee shops- especially Java & Co!
7. My mind is being stretched in new ways- we are learning how to look at things critically, and not just descriptively- its a new kind of writing for me.
8. we have been learning a lot about our worldview- how we see the world and how it affects how we engage with others, fascinating.
9. some of our assignments involve going into town and asking questions to strangers- its thrilling! last week we had to ask 1) what are you major objections to the Christian Faith and 2) What would it take for you to become a Christian. i spoke with a new friend, Jason, who has a brilliant mind. it was quite an intriguing and good conversation.
10. we have started at our placements for the course- mine is at the NOOC (where I live) and i will be starting a Bible study here this coming week. we are going through the uncover series through UCCF. please keep it in your prayers!!!!


Community!
1. It's been a continual learning process to be in this community. We truly are a diverse group- come from so many different cultural and family backgrounds, and all have different gifts to offer.
2. One of our favorites is Stephen. He worked in the Hong Kong government for 34 years before coming to OCCA. He is brilliant, intelligent, and loves Jesus. Last week we realized that whenever he talks we all stand in awe haha everyone goes silent and just listens. its funny.
3. The women have started praying on fridays! That has been a great way to all be together at the same time- and to be intentional! We have breakfast, share Scripture, and pray for each other. last week they all surrounded me as I was feeling sick and just struggling with anxiety and my health. They so dearly lifted me up and encouraged me!
4. It's definitely different to be with the same people all the time- so different from my usual tendencies to be friends with many different groups.
5. Claire and I have become really close- we have breakfast and pray every tuesday. she is also my coffee shop pal- we adventure all over together.Tamara- she is wonderful as well. she has such a different heart for the Lord than some of my other friends- and its so refreshing. we have bonded over a love for spanish, singing hymns and worship, and coffee- essentials. we also love corrie ten boom and quotes- works out when you have someone who loves to encourage in the same way you love to give encouragement! Carmen is so full of life and such an encouragement! Jesse and I are always laughing with one another and like to turn conversation into songs. Hatun is so thoughful, has a really dry sense of humor, and so unique. i'm always learning. alycia is bold and yet so compassionate. so inviting.
6. I have not laughed this much in a long time. I am always laughing- and this community is one that has brought out so much joy in me!
7. we started our huddles this week. we are going to meet in our huddles every week, talk about what we are learning, things that are challenging and going well, etc. its supposed to be a sort of accountability group but also a place for raw honesty and deep change. my leader is Jo- she is one of the wives of the tutors. she is so intelligent, and has such a heart for the Lord. we connect so well!
8. I have committed to St. Aldate's church. I really enjoy the worship and the teaching. this week i signed up to help with childrens church! i have missed being with kids so much!
9. i'm hoping to get involved with a ministry that serves dinner to the homeless once a week here!
10. our community just has fun together. we drink lots of coffee, talk all the time, play games, watch movies, cook together, study together. major bonding.


:) just a recap!
look for a post soon on what God has been teaching me and how to be praying!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Love the updates Rachel! Praying for you and for your time in England.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach I loved every word you wrote about"happenings" and "goings on " I will pray for you Rach Baba

    ReplyDelete