Thursday, January 6, 2011

epiphany

so lets back up a little to the beginning of Christmas break. God really allowed me to see him in so many new ways last semester, and I wanted to really understand why Christmas was so significant this year. So I asked the Lord to reveal new truths and connections both within scripture and learning about the Christmas Story. He answered in more ways than I could even type... he answered one in a really cool way today! I had prayed that I would really understand the significance of the three kings (magi) and how they would affect my walk and what role they played in the nativity story.
so panera is my fav spot. i go there all the time to have coffee and a quiet time. so today, after waking up a little late... i get there for breakfast when everyone else is eating lunch. and panera was packed. so after i get my bagel and coffee, i'm about to walk out when i see an open table out of the corner of my eye. perfect, another guy with a computer... i'll fit right in. so i go sit next to him, take out my Bible and computer, and the guy next to me smiles and says, "time for a Bible study?" we talk for a little about it, and my life (God seems to be really funny and i meet new friends almost every time I go to panera). before he leaves he says, oh just to let you know today the church celebrates the day of epiphany, you should read that along with what you were reading.
okay cool, if i'm honest i have no idea what that means. so i look up what the day of epiphany means and why it is celebrated. it is the last day in the 12 days of christmas. it represents the day that the magi came to bring Jesus his gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. when the magi did this, they were the first people to reveal Christ as King. and not only did they reveal he was the Christ, but they were the first gentiles to do it. which means from then on, the world knew Christ came for all peoples and all nations, not just a select few. since then, the church has used this day to look at its mission of what it means to call Christ Savior in the world, and what it looks like for them to do it.
so really, the magi had much more of a role in how the christmas story applies to me than i thought. their epiphany, or revelation allowed everyone to know Christ came for them. and now the church, and individuals, can reflect and see what it would mean for them to call Christ their Savior in the world. are we carrying the name of Jesus with us everywhere we go?
and how cool that God decided to answer my prayer in this way, so long after i even thought about it, and through a perfect stranger. He's a funny one.

No comments:

Post a Comment