Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Mahalo

Mahalo is the Hawaiian word for thank you. I thought this would be a great way to start this post- because I am returning with quite a thankful attitude. I learned a lot over our ten days in vacation- from time with Jesus, the people I was surrounded by, and from taking risks- however small or large.

Here are some of my reflections from the week ...

Over the trip I met a homeless woman named Sue. She lived at a picnic table on the beach. Unable to walk and having trouble with her vision, she spent every moment of her life at this picnic table. My mom and I stopped to talk with her one day- and tried to visit her during our trips to the beach. Some of the unique things about her- she likes philosophy, rootbeer, and watching the sunset as much as she is able. she loved to laugh. she valued community and remembered the people who said they would come back to see her and followed through. when we talked about the church, she did not like going because no one talked to her when she went. my interactions with sue taught me how the church needs to grow, for sure, but how important and captivating the person of Jesus Christ is. He knew how to heal. He saw even the beggars- those who were passed on the streets every day- and he wanted to know the cry of their hearts. Sue was a reminder to me that as Christians, we are responsible for the physical needs of the world- but also the spiritual. Sue was in need of food, water, and medical care- but she was also in need of unconditional love, unashamed acceptance of Christ, and to know of the dignity and worth she carried simply because she was created in the image of God. 

I met some new friends whose families were also attending the same medical conference. Through random run ins and frequent hellos I was able to get to know more about their lives and who they were. The last morning I met one of their dads, who is a missionary to the Phillipines. He is working with technology, education and poverty, using each of these areas as a platform for evangelism and sharing Jesus. After sharing some of my shared vision and desires, he invited me to come to the Philippines and speak. What?!?!? It was incredible. Yet another way in which God can weave something together hat is directly in line with my interests and a complete surprise. What a joy!!! He really can do more Han we could ever ask or imagine!

Hawaii was a trip of unexpected surprises, friendships and lessons, only a glimpse of which i was able to share with you today.

Mahalo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment